Saturday, March 15, 2014

Attack of the Killer Potatoes by Peter Lerangis

Yep. This book is really about killer potatoes. This is another book I just let my son pick up and read because from the cover, it looked pretty harmless and funny. After he giggled through the reading, I thought I should check it out, too. I soon realized I wish I had read it first.

Attack of the Killer Potatoes by Peter Lerangis is about a 7th grade boy, Arnold, who, along with his best friend,  finds a whole lot of trouble when they steal a scientist's secret formula--a growth hormone derived from dinosaur DNA.

I would file this book in the obnoxious category. The main characters are all rude to each other and seem to think only of themselves. Arnold and his sister show absolutely no kindness toward one another. Arnold and his best friend Max openly disobey parents and authorities with no remorse. This book shows how to be the most obnoxious middle-schooler possible--the exact opposite of what I'm shooting for with our children.

Additionally of interest to parents of boys is the fact that, while the two boys are the protagonists of the tale, they are not the heroes. The author allows the male main characters to be nothing more than screw-ups; from the two boys to the mad scientist to the police officer, no male is admirable or good. In the end, Arnold's interfering sister and his mother save the day. Let me clarify that I am totally okay with female characters saving the day, but it is not okay when all the boys in a book aimed at young boys are no-good idiots who mess everything up.

Gee, and the title was so promising.

No comments:

Post a Comment